Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The 411

I'm constantly missing someone that I hardly know. The worst part is that although I miss him terribly, I still see him multiple times during the week. I sometimes wonder why loving/caring about someone is so difficult. The world would be a much better place if we were only capable of loving those that love us as well. I heard this song once that said something along the lines of, "I've seen love die way too many times when it deserves to be alive". This is one of the most truthful things I've heard in a long time. Often times we look at our current situation and become unsatisfied with how things are going. We are constantly fantasizing about a live that we assume would be 'more fulfilling' than our current life.

Why does loving someone have to be so hard? I understand why there are shows called the bachelor or bachelorette... Its because Americans make television shows about things that we deem very difficult to do. You have Survivor because surviving is hard, Iron Chef because cooking is hard, and The Bachelor because the fact that our society has ruined our outlook on love, it is basically impossible to find someone worthy of spending a life with. What's wrong with us and our perceptions of love? Why do we assume that every love story has to start in the exact same way that every other story has starts just because that is the way we saw it on television. A tad bit unoriginal wouldn't you say? I wonder if this is the reason there is so much divorce in the world today.. because society tells us that if our love story does not go perfectly then it isn't 'true love'.

You know the funny thing though.. I'm not sure I have ever seen a movie (besides The Notebook) where you saw how the relationship turned out after the courtship. Its always 'and they lived happily ever after' ... What the f... What does that mean? I'm not sure I believe that one.. but 'and they lived happy for a while and then eventually got bored of each other' doesn't have a very nice ring to it.. But the worst thing I think society does that ruins falling in love... They tell us that certain things are unacceptable (which actually are acceptable)... and that certain things are acceptable... (When their not)

Things Like......
He's too old for you.. When he's not
Older Women can date men significantly younger than them.. Which they can't
Its alright to yell at your significant other.. Its not
You can be a psycho and total your boyfriends car (Carrie Underwood).. Not okay
Meeting someones parents is like this huuuugge deal.. Really shouldn't be that big of a deal
Choking out your boyfriend/husband is okay.. No
If you're famous enough then it's okay to have affairs.. It's never okay
You need to live with your significant other before marriage to see if it 'works'.. No you don't
Divorce is a quick and easy solution if it doesn't work out.. It's ugly and painful.. nothing easy about it.

I wish it were just a little bit easier than it is... Life is made out to be a lot more difficult than it actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment